Monday, November 17, 2008

KONA- Part 2...

Oh yeah..so Shave Ice. That is where I left off. I swore by it. Everyday, right before sunset, I would have a large one...sometimes with the frozen yogurt inside. It was so good. I really really love that stuff. Wouldn't have it everyday if I were not training or racing, but a definite treat.

The day or two before the race, people were still running around training heaps, as if they hadn't trained enough for it. I am sure there are countless people who are injured that go into Kona- because they qualified at a race so far before the actual October dance, yet they are not going to miss this- the most important one of the season. I mean, there are lots of people who end up walking the marathon, just to finish and say they completed Kona. Not sure if I would have been able to do the same, but I wasn't in their shoes. Very very tough to NOT do Kona, a race that you worked so hard to qualify for- some people, spending their entire lives to do the big race.

The day before, I was getting all of my stuff ready. Monty went out with me to do a short jog, and then Lisa gave me her skin suit to try for the swim. I was thinking about it- as we can't wear wetsuits for the swim. I was thinking that I would wear the fast suit, but then again...was also thinking it would be too much hassle. After all, had never wore one in a race before, or even practiced enough in it. I decided to shave instead- I shaved everything, from my arms, to my legs of course, to my hands, to my feet, to my tummy...everything that was exposed to water and would feel the fastness of the shaven skin against the water.

I had all of my Transition bags packed and headed into the T-Area to check my bike and get my bags ready. The bike count at Kona is always crazy. Lots of bike people sitting at the entrance of the Transition area counting the brands of bikes. Cervelo won again this year, much thanks to Wellington and her wins. Kuota was in 2nd place, though. Good job for them. Honestly to me- it is really not about the bike. I was on a Felt that I had to borrow in order to win Oceanside, so that worked that day for me. It was really me who biked the shit out of that course- not the bike. But, honestly, it might be my Kueen-K who shows up this weekend and bikes hard on the Tempe course. Looking forward to this weekend for sure!

I had a nice dinner prior to the race. I had a cheeseburger with some fries, and a beer. Pretty good mix of carbs, fat and protein. No need to watch your calories the night before the race. I never do. In fact, the entire week before, I try to eat healthy in healthy portions. I don't always eat red meat, but the night before, it gives me the extra boost of energy.

I went back to the hotel and fell asleep by 10 o'clock. I was getting a ride in the morning at about 4:45, and I thought that would be plenty of sleep. Honestly, I don't sleep all that well the night before a race, but that night, I really did sleep well. I slept very well. So, when the morning came, I was ready.. Heat or winds, bring it on...

Part 3- Race Report- to come...

No comments:

Clancy, Mike and I

Clancy, Mike and I
SB Tri Finishers- Nice Tiles!