Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Ironman UK...1st Day in Sherbourne



I am in Sherbourne now and went for a swim this morning with the mom (Erica) of the house I am staying at. It is absolutely beautiful here. Very pretty country. Reminds me of Minnesota a bit. Went by the castle to see where the transition area is, so that is cool. My bike came here in one piece and I put it together last night. I am actually staying at the house of the headquarters of the homestay- that is, I am the only triathlete here, and the daughter of Erica (Francesca) is the director of accommodation for the race. So, she knows everything there is to know about the race and when/where things are...when I need to be there...etc... She is pretty "switched" on, so that is cool.

Just arrived in the UK 2 days ago. Spent 2 amazing days and nights in London, and regretfully had to leave the city to go to my race :) Looking forward to it, though...don't get me wrong. But, loved the city and plan on visiting again. Got my bike case, my bag, and myself on the train to the country and arrived in Sherbourne yesterday afternoon.



The weather is slightly cool. Went out for a 20 min run yesterday, and got POURED on. It was actually a nice rain, but I think that it is going to be cool on race day. Perfect racing weather. You should see this lake we are swimming in- it is man made and a bit small. I think we are going to do 5 laps or something...Could also be a bit windy for the ride, and possibly rainy and hilly for the run. Very good racing weather, though. Might have to plan on some warm-weather clothes on...rain jacket for the bike and maybe for the run as well.

Anyway, things are going very well. I have 2 dogs here to keep me company as well. Jack Russell terriers- Russell and Bailey. The Denings (Erica, Francesca, and Ronald- the dad) live on 500 acres here. So, we had all veggies from their farm last night for dinner, and real milk from their cows. I am getting a great experience- not even sure I would need to race at this point :) Don't get my daily Starbucks fix, but perhaps that is good for me. They eat really healthy around here, so that is a good thing. I have taken a liking to their pudding here with real whipped cream. Great pre-race food I am sure of it.

Well, hope to talk to you more soon. I will try to blog as much as I can in order keep all of you whom I can't call readily updated.

Have a great day,
Erika

No comments:

Clancy, Mike and I

Clancy, Mike and I
SB Tri Finishers- Nice Tiles!