Thursday, June 21, 2007

Make Today a GREAT day

You woke up today and had two decisions: to make today a great day, or to make it a bad day. Do you believe that? That you have the power each day to choose to make yourself happy. Do you open your eyes to an alarm and think that today is going to be an ordinary day, same as the last few days, same as the last few weeks, months...Are you letting your life happen to you?

If your answer is yes to most of these questions, you are like many people- and I suggest you change your way of thinking. We are creatures of habit and we do crave some sense of routine in our lives, and with this routine comes a feeling of comfort, and as a result, a possible fear of change. Everyday happiness in your life will not come out of your routine, but rather from the "unexpected" happenings that break the monotony that you are used to.

Think back to the last thing you did or place you went that was not in your "plan." What did you do? How did you feel? Why did you go? Do you think that there is a good chance that you remember it because it was out of your routine- there is a good chance of that. I went out to dinner last night with a girlfriend of mine from high school whom I hadn't seen in 9 years. We went to dinner and coffee and as of two days ago, I didn't know I was going to meet up with her. I didn't necessarily have time to meet with her, and I did have some other plans made, but I knew that meeting with her would make me happy. So, I just did it. My plans could be postponed- routine was broken, and I was okay with that.

Don't feel that everyday of every week should be programmed. There are new experiences to be had each day, new things to see, new friends to make, new workouts to try. Take advantage of each day that you have and try to do something new and fun when you can. New and fun can be something just out of your everyday plan- try it. Even if it means going to your local coffee place rather than the Starbucks for your morning cup of joe. Take the long way home tomorrow. Stop and "smell the roses"-as cliche as that sounds, it is true- enjoy each minute. Live life. Have fun.

No comments:

Clancy, Mike and I

Clancy, Mike and I
SB Tri Finishers- Nice Tiles!