Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Timing is Everything

Face it- sometimes, you just don't feel like working out. You have made your appointment at the gym with your personal trainer at 7:00 A.M. and, despite getting a great night of sleep, you have woken up with a lack of motivation to get your tush to the gym. You always work out at 7, but lately, things just haven't been jiving for you that early. Is it O.K. to waver from your normal morning hour? Won't you be letting yourself down if you change your time to later in the day? I mean, c'mon you wuss, you are supposed to be working out that early all the time, right?
Wrong.

Not "wrong" in that working out in the morning is bad. "Wrong" in that you don't always have to workout at the same time each day in order for you to reap the benefits of your planned workout. I feel that you can get your best workout in as long as you have had enough nutrition beforehand, and a recovery drink packed for after.

You probably already have figured out what your optimal time of day is that you like to workout. I personally like to eat a big breakfast before I do anything, so running or cycling at 5:30 in the morning is tough. Tonight, I decided to go for a 55 mile bike ride- and I departed at 5:20 PM. I called it my "sunset ride." It was a beautiful ride and I made it home just before 8:30 PM, just when the sun was completely down. I usually ride at 2pm in the afternoon, because that is when I get off work and I like to get my workout done. HOWEVER, I feel best after 4pm. And, most races are at 7am in the morning. So, what is the deal? What is my optimal hour?

It is probably best to workout during the time of day when you feel your best, and if your schedule is flexible enough for you to do this, take advantage. But, if you are only free to workout at a certain time of day, each day, and you don't feel that it is optimal, try to re-figure your days sometimes to take advantage of your 'OPTIMAL HOUR.' Even if you do this once a week you will feel invigorated and feel a new, uplifting attitude about your workouts. Kill the monotony and get your 'sweat-on' at your optimal time. Nothing wrong with changing it up once in a while.

Check out my website:
http://www.shapefit.com/personal-trainers-erika-lilley.html

No comments:

Clancy, Mike and I

Clancy, Mike and I
SB Tri Finishers- Nice Tiles!