Are you getting tired of the USUAL Chocolate or Vanilla variety of protein powder? I mean, there are only so many ways to mix both of them to make your swirl variety as well. So, how can you make your protein drink more exciting? Here are some additions for you to try, most with their own nutritious value:
1. Berries or Banana: An old standby, but you can add any kind of berries or banana (only add 1/2 of a banana if you are watching your weight) to your vanilla or chocolate.
2. Peanut Butter: What is not to love about peanut butter? Use the natural kind, the kind with the oil on top. You will benefit not only from the "good" fat, but also from the yummy flavor.
3. Coffee/Instant Coffee: If you are like me and love a bit of a perk in the morning, this is a great way to make your coffee more nutritious. You can add 1/2 cup of regular coffee, or a teaspoon of instant for some great flavor.
4. Peppermint Extract: If you are a chocolate-mint fan, this works great. Best to add 1 part chocolate, 1 part vanilla, and then 2 drops of extract for a delicious post workout or late afternoon snack.
5. Cinnamon: It will give your vanilla powder a rich, cozy flavor- perfect for a morning shake or Fall/Winter flavor. Cinnamon has also been known to lower the GI (glycemic index) of certain foods.
6. Diet Root Beer: Want a creamy root beer float with some nutritious value? Add some diet root beer for a yummy flavor- but make sure to watch out for your shake to get a bit excited because of the carbonation.
7. Peaches or Mango: Add to your vanilla powder for an extra carb boost for a post-workout energizer.
8. Honey: This is a great way to add some additional carbs without using white sugar. Add honey to your cinnamon shake as well to keep your GI index down.
9. Flax Seed: Its high content of alpha linolenic acids has made the flax seed our modern miracle food. Alpha linolenic acid is a type of plant-derived Omega 3, similar to those found in fish. Benefits include lowering cholesterol, lower blood pressure, or preventing the risk of a heart attack. (Cited from http://www.healthcastle.com/flax.shtml).
10. Orange Juice: Add to a vanilla shake for an Orange-Julius-type shake, giving you a refreshing summer smoothie, full of Vitamin C and necessary protein!
Let me know WHAT YOUR FAVORITE flavor is: email@example.com.
Sight On These Sites
- ► 2008 (36)
- Do What You Love- 5 Tips to Keep your Workout Fres...
- 2nd Big "Brick"
- Mental Motivation
- First Big Brick
- Stop The Bad Talk
- 6 Ways To Shake Your Workout Blues
- Adjust For the Heat
- 8 Cool Summer Treats- without the Guilt!
- 10 Ways to Flavor Up Your Protein!
- It's Tour Time!
- It's Hot! Don't Lose Your Cool, or Your Salt
- Don't Miss a Step
- STARBUCKS: MY “SAVORY 7” LOW CAL DRINKS
- ▼ July (13)