Monday, July 2, 2007

STARBUCKS: MY “SAVORY 7” LOW CAL DRINKS

If you are anything like me, you enjoy your Starbucks. I am a daily visitor and I have no qualms about it. I admit that I love my caffeine, as well as a variety of other flavors that SB has to offer. I do, however, watch what I drink, as there are several selections on the menu that are not for you if you are trying to manage your waistline. If you are smart about ordering from your favorite barista, you can, in fact, still enjoy your Joe without adding any non-nutritious calories to your diet. Want to know my 7 favorite drinks that are under 100 calories? Here they are (order any size):

Americano, with little room: For the coffee purist, who likes their blend a bit stronger than a straight up mild or bold brew, you can order an Americano, which is ‘2 shot’ espresso with hot water. Add half and half and two Splenda and you have low calorie treat that will wake you up.

Bold blend with a shot of Sugar Free Vanilla: If you like to add a bit of flavor to your coffee without the extra calories, try a regular coffee with a shot of sugar free vanilla, hazelnut, or caramel. I believe that most SBs have all 3 as an offering.

Iced Green Tea: This is a summer favorite for me. Green tea is rich in antioxidants and naturally good for your immune system. Make sure to order it ‘unsweetened’ and then you can add the calorie-free sweetener of your choice.

Refresh Tea: If you are in the mood for something hot but don’t want coffee, try a Refresh Tea. It is a peppermint flavored blend that is perfect for a dessert, and is naturally great for your digestive system. Order it with 2 teabags, as it will give it more flavor.

“Red Eye”:Want a bit more kick in the morning? Order a red eye- which is a bold blend with an extra shot of espresso. As I mentioned above, you might need to tame it down like I do with some half and half and some calorie-free sweetener, but it is worth it. If you add half and half and skip the milk, you will save on carbs: one serving of half and half may have a bit more fat, but only 2 grams of sugar. Milk, on the other hand, has more sugar in it and close to 16 grams of carbs per serving.

Sugar-Free Hazelnut Americano: Add some flavor to #1 with some sugar free hazelnut. I usually order this around the Holidays, as hazelnut always sounds so good. You can’t go wrong, as this is still under 50 calories, no matter if you get a Tall or Venti.

Iced Coffee: This one is probably my absolute favorite. Order it unsweetened, then doctor it up with some half and half and some Equal and you are good to go! Enjoy.

1 comment:

triclancy said...

Ah, a woman after my own heart! I love me some SB!! Thanks for the new drink orders...I'm all over the green tea, but have never tried the iced coffee. Good seeing you at Nats but WAY TOO SHORT! Let's get together when you are up here for Barb's Race, k? Miss and Love you!! XO, Clancy

Clancy, Mike and I

Clancy, Mike and I
SB Tri Finishers- Nice Tiles!