Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Joys of Soy

O.k., so I went to Starbucks this morning and thought that I would get something different than my usual Grande drip. My choice a couple years ago would be to have grabbed a Nonfat Latte. However, a couple of months ago, I decided to try Soy Milk for the first time- mostly because it is lower in carbs than a regular milk latte. I thought I would look into the health benefits of Soy Milk to see exactly what I was enjoying and here is what I found.

Pros:
1. High in Protein
2. Higher in Fiber than cow's milk
3. High in isoflavones. (chemicals similar to the hormone, estrogen)
4. Not as much cholesterol as regular milk
5. Lower in carbohydrates than regular milk

Cons:
1. Lower in Calcium (only 1/4 calcium of regular milk)
2. Higher in Fat than regular milk
3. Doesn't taste as good as regular milk (as some people would say)

So, give it a try if you want to change it up. I have had put it in my oatmeal, and have tried it in regular cereal as well. This morning, I had a Grande Sugar-Free Vanilla Soy Latte and it is wonderful. I should have added an extra espresso shot, but next time.

No comments:

Clancy, Mike and I

Clancy, Mike and I
SB Tri Finishers- Nice Tiles!