Saturday, September 29, 2007

So, what ARE good choices?

"You can tell me all you want about eating more healthy- eating 5, 6, 7 times a day, getting in your protein, eating fruits and veggies, taking all the right supplements. But, give me some examples?"

Makes sense. I would love to. Michael A. Roussell has written a book called NAKED NUTRITION. I highly recommend that you buy it, read it, and follow it. What I like about his take on nutrition is that there are no special diets or gimmicks involved. Much of what he says is common sense, but also, the advice he gives focuses on lifestyle changes. Functional stuff. Real-life solutions for us- the busy mom/dad who needs just a few tweaks in her/his nutritional plan to make a huge difference.

I thought I would list some foods within the 5 major food groups from you to choose from on a daily basis- with these tenets in mind- protein at every meal, veggies/fruits throughout the day, fats sparingly, and starches in the morning and/or around your workout. Check out Mike's list of naked foods:

PROTEIN:
Chicken
Salmon
Tilapia
Eggs/Egg Whites
Lean Ground Beef
Turkey
Tuna
Protein Powder
Cottage Cheese
Workout Drink

STARCHES:
Brown Rice
Yams/Sweet Potatoes
Tomatoes
Oatmeal
Whole Grain Bread
Oat Bran
Corn Tortilla
Whole Wheat Tortilla

VEGGIES/FRUITS:
Spinach
Onions
Kiwi
Asparagus
Broccoli
Hummus
Carrots
Beans
Summer Squash
Apple
Banana
Blueberries
Strawberries
Peach
Grapes
Pineapple
Orange

FATS:
Walnuts
Olive Oil
Almonds
Avocado
Flaxseed Oil
Coconut Oil
Cheddar Cheese
Feta Cheese

Now, get to planing and cooking. Take the time to think about your meals and start seeing yourself as the healthy-you. If you start eating these healthy foods- great tasting foods- your workouts are going to benefit from it as well. Eat good-feel good-look good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice list, but Tomatoes should be under fruits/vegs not starch. Tomatoes have very little carbs in them at all.

Anonymous said...

I every time spent my half an hour to read this web site's content daily along with a mug of coffee.

Look at my web page ... wingoplus.com

Clancy, Mike and I

Clancy, Mike and I
SB Tri Finishers- Nice Tiles!